MCIC is hiring and you should totally come work with me.
Web and Database Programmer
MCIC (Metro Chicago Information Center) is a non-profit corporation that provides research and information services(surveys, maps, data analysis, focus group) to those concerned with public policy issues, community needs, and quality of life. Our products include both specific deliverables for client-based projects, including visuals and text (maps, graphs, tables, charts, written text, slide presentations, etc.) and “free” data products disseminated primarily through the web.
DESCRIPTION: The Web and Database Programmer is responsible for providing technical services as a member of proposal and project development teams for internal and external projects. S/he takes lead responsibility for implementing website and web survey projects, and for programming in areas including database development and management, custom data entry programs, etc. Updates and maintains MCIC website. Performs data processing and data analysis in a project team environment.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Participating in proposal development and project deliverable teams;
- Implementing website and web custom survey projects for non-profit and corporate clients
- Participating in project teams in areas of secondary research, database programming, statistical analysis(SPSS), and presentation graphics
- Maintaining MCIC GIS-based websites and Intranet
- Maintaining clients’ websites
- Assisting in web server administration
- Developing integrated databases from multiple sources
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with SQL Server programming
- Experience with PHP programming
- Working knowledge of other relational database programs (FoxPro and Access)
- Experience with statistical SPSS and spreadsheet software packages
- Experience with IIS web hosting
- Knowledge of GIS Software: ArcGIS 9.2 and Geocoder
- Knowledge of US Census geographic and demographic data
- Techniques for explaining technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users
This position is a half time position that will grow into a full time position. The position is salaried, and exempt from the overtime provisions of salary and wage administration. Reports to Director of Information Services.
BA/BS or equivalent in geography or computer science or commensurate experience; excellent web, database, and desktop application programming skills; good communication skills; strong positive interpersonal and team skills; reliable follow-through habits to function in a deadline-driven team environment; GIS experience a big plus.
We know this is a big list of skills; while the ideal person will have all of them in their toolbox we’re also interested in hearing from people with some of them and an interest / excitement for learning the rest. MCIC is an awesome place to work; you’ll have a challenging and fast-paced workload and get to work with an amazing group of very, very smart people. To boot, in our office culture there’s a huge emphasis on learning new skills and innovating new approaches to data preparation and manipulation.
Send resumes and links to your work to email@example.com.